Home | Schedule | Links | Students |
Meetings: Monday and Wednesday 5:00-6:15 in 203 Robinson Hall
Instructor: Andreas Münchow
Goal: Provide each student with an understanding of the general principles of wave mechanics, kinematics, and dynamics as well as their applications to surface gravity waves, acoustic waves, electromagnetic waves, and large scale geophysical waves.
Format: This is lecture-style class.
- 1. Plane Waves - Unforced, acoustics
- 2. Surface Gravity Waves - Forced, homogeneous
- 3. Internal Gravity Waves - Forced, stratified
- 4. Shallow Water Waves - Boundaries
- 5. Geophysical Waves - Vorticity
- 6. Nonlinear wave forms
Grading: 40% homework problems, 40% final exams, 20% contributions to in-class discussions.
Exam: Comprehensive Final
- Chapman, D.C. and P. Malanotte-Rizzoli, 1989: Wave Motions in the Ocean presented to Myrl C. Hendershot, unpublished document, 174 pp.
- Feddersen, F., 2018: Waves in the ocean - linear treatment. Unpublished notes at http://falk.ucsd.edu
- Gill, A.E., 1982: Atmosphere-Ocean Dynamics, Academic Press Inc., Orlando, FL, 662 pp.
- Kundu, P.K., 1990: Fluid Mechanics, Academy Press, New York, NY, 503 pp.
- Lighthill, J., 1978: Waves in Fluids, Cambridge Press, New York, NY, 503 pp.
- NEWS Apr.-12: Posted class notes for Apr.-11 session.
- NEWS Apr.-9: Posted class notes for Apr.-2, Apr.-4, and Apr.-9 sessions.
- NEWS Mar.-7: No class, UDel closed
- NEWS Mar.-7: Posted Homework #2
- NEWS Mar.-6: Posted lecture notes for class 7 and 8
- NEWS Feb.-28: Posted lecture notes for class 5 and 6
- NEWS Feb.-22: Posted lecture notes for class 3, 4, and Homework
- NEWS Feb.-6: Posted lecture notes for class 1 and 2
- NEWS Feb.-5: Posted Syllabus
- NEWS Feb.-5: New Web-Page for 2018
Last updated: Mon May 14 09:58:24 EDT 2018