Home | Schedule | Instructor
NEWS Apr.-20: May-4 Honors Day - Attendance Optional, May-4 presentations now scheduled for May-11.
Meetings: Friday 2:15-3:15 in 105 Robinson Hall
Instructor: Andreas Muenchow
Objectives: The course constitutes a step towards mastery in
- critical reading,
- public speaking, and
- clear presenting.
Grading: Each student shall
- 40% - give a feature presentation (30 minutes) on an assigned paper and relevant background material;
- 10% - summarize the feature presentation (5 minutes) with one slide or sketch;
- 10% - peer-review feature presentation prior to class in private with presenter;
- 20% - give a sidbar presentation (10 minutes) on assigned short paper;
- 20% - speak up in class, ask questions, and actively participate in discussing material.
Presentations will be scored on
- Subject Knowledge (40%)
- Clarity of Presentation (30%)
- Critical reflection or synthesis (20%)
- Absence of Clutter (10%)
- All presenters (feature, summary, sidebar) shall critically read the assigned papers to properly present them;
- All students shall read the abstracts and figures of all papers to participate in discussions;
- Feature presenter and peer-reviewer shall find a time to practice presentation and provide critical feedback;
- Feature presentation shall be sent as .pdf to the instructor for posting on this web-page.
Apr.-12: Posted assignments for Apr.-27 and May-4 Schedule.
Mar.-20: Posted assignments for Apr.-6, 13, and 20 in Schedule.
Mar.-18: Posted presentations on Atlantic and
Mar.-02: Extreme Weather & Arctic Warming: Why is Europe so cold right now?
Mar.-01: National Snow and Ice Center Arctic Sea Ice Extent Interactive
Feb.-20: Posted Papers until spring break in Schedule
Feb.-9: Posted Seminar Format and Student Assignments in Schedule
Last updated: Fri Apr 20 11:36:57 EDT 2018